Today I was walking from the HFAC (Harris Fine Arts Center) to my car and had an insight that referred to my one of my favorite movies.
My lesson went well as far as lessons go. I’ve definitely had worse. I worked very hard this past week on the things my professor asked me to do and I was ready for him to be proud of my practicing accomplishments. However, it didn’t go as expected. He didn’t criticize my practicing efforts but simply went right into the next thing I should work on. Um…. hello? What about a little compliment for doing well on the last thing you asked me to work on? I mean after all, I had dropped a class, skipped out on social events and sleep so that I could put in, what used to be one, three hours of respectable practicing.
As I walked to Helga (my car) I thought, “I would just like a little credit for the fact that I am killing myself trying,” and I realized that this was an exact quote from the fabulous, Devil Wears Prada. Of course, I heard Nigel say right back to me, ”Marisa, be serious. You are not trying. You are whining.”
And I quoted that part of the movie to myself for the next few minutes. If you’re not familiar with the movie. (First, shame on you!) But let me help you out:
Andy: She hates me, Nigel.
Nigel: And that's my problem because... Oh, wait. No, it's not my problem.
Andy: I don't know what else I can do because if I do something right, it's unacknowledged. She doesn't even say thank you. But if I do something wrong, she is vicious.
Nigel: So quit.
Andy: What?
Nigel: Quit.
Andy: Quit?
Nigel: I can get another girl to take your job in five minutes... one who really wants it.
Andy: No, I don't want to quit. That's not fair. But, I, you know, I'm just saying that I would just like a little credit... for the fact that I'm killing myself trying.
Nigel: Andy, be serious. You are not trying. You are whining. What is it that you want me to say to you, huh? Do you want me to say, "Poor you. Miranda's picking on you. Poor you. Poor Andy"? Hmm? Wake up, six. She's just doing her job. Because this place, where so many people would die to work you only deign to work. And you want to know why she doesn't kiss you on the forehead and give you a gold star on your homework at the end of the day. Wake up, sweetheart.
I’m going to keep practicing. I am going to get better. I will not live off compliments, in fact I will strive off criticism. I am going to make the music program. Thank you. That is all.
YOU ARE THE WOMAN! :)
ReplyDeleteI vote for Murph!
Good girl. That made me want to watch that movie again, and also CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC.
ReplyDelete